Sunday, May 1, 2011

arne speaks...

Arne's gift of expression falls Far Below Basic. It's embarrassing to think that this mental midget leads the US Department of Education and dictates policy for all of America's public school children. Would someone please buy this guy a clue??? ....And sending him back for some remedial writing classes wouldn't be such a bad idea, either. (p.s. As a kindergarten teacher, I'm wondering which states have 3 year olds in kindergarten. Maybe I should write the DoE and ask them.)


And so I think it's my job to be the truth-teller.

And I'm just absolutely convinced we have to educate our way to a better economy.

We have a cradle-to-career strategy to dramatically change those numbers.

So, we need to lengthen the school day. We need to lengthen the school year.

Schools need to be open 12, 13, 14 hours a day six, seven days a week, 12 months out of the year, with a whole host of activities, particularly in disadvantaged communities.

Well, let me tell you the problem first. This is a devastating one, is, the longer our children are in school, the worse they do. The longer they're in school, the worse they do.

Our 3- and 4-year-olds enter kindergarten OK, and they fall further and further behind.

From the moment students enter a school, the most important factor in their success is the teacher,” said Secretary Duncan.

I feel a huge sense of urgency about this.

I’m not about collaboration for collaboration’s sake. Collaboration around the status quo, I’m not about that. I’m not about kumbaya. It’s about doing things to get better results for kids.

Class size has been a sacred cow.

2 comments:

  1. What a bunch of contradictory gobbledygook. It is clear he has no idea what to do, and just falls back on a bunch of talking points, not even bothering to see if they make sense. If any of my students wrote this or delivered this as a speech, I'd make them re-do it until it made sense! The man doesn't even know where he stands, so he is falling for every stock phrase that comes around the block. God help us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Essentially. he is saying (I think...it's hart to tell because it is so incoherent)...that we need to raise people's children FOR them, since from the moment they turn 3, we are the most important people in their lives. Hmmmm...way to encourage teenagers to pop out babies so their teachers can raise them. It's OK, we'll take care of it. No problem.
    Yeah, he gets a low 1.

    ReplyDelete